Throughout the year, enjoy hands-on workshops on collections care led by expert conservators and staff. Or meet with professionals informally to learn more about care, storage, and treatment of your heirlooms.
Upcoming Museum Conservation Center Programs
Genealogy in the Digital World Workshop
Saturday, March 25 • 10 – noon
Museum Conservation Center at the Heinz History Center
Available Conservation Workshops and Programs
If you’re interested in bringing your group to the Museum Conservation Center for a workshop, please contact Barb Conner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-454-6450 for more information. Please review to the below list of available programs.
Digitizing Your Photographs Workshop I
Do you have photographs at home that have become faded or are too fragile to handle? We have a solution for you with this workshop that will focus on digital photo preservation.
- Learn about scanning techniques for 2D and 3D objects
- View demonstrations and examples of object photography
- Practice file naming tips
This workshop will help orient you to the concepts of digital fragility, format selections, metadata, and backup systems.
Digitizing Your Photographs Workshop II
This more advanced digitizing workshop builds on skills learned in the Digitizing Photos Part I workshop.
- View demonstrations of retouching in Photoshop, including “dust-busting” and scratch-control techniques
- Learn about exposure adjustment and perspective control
- Understand shortcuts for image cropping and sizing
Textile Care Clinic
Meet with a textile conservator who will demonstrate and describe various conservation techniques for textiles:
- Meticulous sewing techniques that aid in preservation
- The extraordinary means to which conservators will go to preserve important cultural artifacts
- Simple DIY cleaning techniques that “Do No Harm”
Family Archives Workshop I
This workshop includes:
- Hands-on activities to illustrate real-world examples, such as the best ways to preserve birth certificates, passports, family letters, and other materials that help to tell your
- Workshop activities will guide participants through identifying, handling, organizing and storing paper documents to ensure the best care both now and for future generations.
Family Archives Workshop II
This workshop will present a hands-on guide and activities to learn how to identify, handle, and store family documents.
- Organize and describe documents using proper archival information structure.
- Create a digital image of a document with provided equipment.
- Learn how to select the proper enclosure for original documents and the Museum Conservation Center’s recommendation for larger or 3D documents such as pamphlets, maps, and albums.