The Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh Collection, 1902-2005
The organization known as the Jewish Community Center (JCC) of Greater Pittsburgh evolved from a number of different organizations, including the Columbian Council School, the Irene Kaufmann Settlement (IKS), the Young Men and Women's Hebrew Association (YMWHA), and the Young Men and Women's Hebrew Association - Irene Kaufmann Centers (Y-IKC). The records include annual reports, correspondence, financial material, historical information, minute books, photographs, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, printed material, programs, publications, and scrapbooks.
Medical check-up at the Emma Kaufmann Camp, undated
The Montefiore Hospital Collection, 1898-1990
Montefiore Hospital was founded as a Jewish hospital in 1908 in order to provide training and hospital affiliation for Jewish doctors who were denied those opportunities elsewhere and to furnish Jewish patients with hospital care in a Jewish setting with kosher food. Money was raised for the hospital by a group of women who had formed an organization, the Hebrew Ladies Hospital Aid Society, in 1898, to provide care for the Jewish immigrants who were arriving in Pittsburgh. The records include meeting minutes, financial reports, legal documents, staff rosters, lists of the trustees, organizational history, photographs, clippings, brochures, magazines, and newsletters.
Montefiore Hospital during the 1950s