The Beth Hamedrash Hagodol-Beth Jacob Congregation Collection, 1880-2005
Beth Hamedrash Hagodol was founded in 1869 by Lithuanian Jews who had fled to the United States after the unsuccessful 1863 Polish revolt against the Russian Empire. In 1883, members of the congregation from the Lithuanian region around the town of Suwalk split off and formed a congregation which they chartered as Beth Jacob. In 1964, the two congregations reunited, forming Beth Hamedrash Hagodol-Beth Jacob. The collection includes a wide range of materials related to the function of the congregation, including ledgers containing financial records as well as membership lists, meeting minutes, and documents related to the merger of the two congregations and the building of the Colwell Street synagogue.
Beth Hamedrash Hagodol, undated
Beth Jacob, 1965
The Homestead Hebrew Congregation Collection, 1901-1991
The Homestead Hebrew Congregation was organized in 1894 as an Orthodox congregation to serve what was then a small Jewish community in Homestead (Allegheny County), Pennsylvania. These records include financial ledgers, record books, correspondence, meeting minutes, bills, and receipts. These records provide comprehensive information relating to the congregation's finances and individual congregants through collection, donation, and cemetery records.
Homestead Hebrew Congregation, 1924
The B’nai Israel Congregation Collection, 1905-2001
As Jewish people moved into the neighborhoods of Stanton Heights, Highland Park, and East Liberty in the East End area of Pittsburgh, groups began holding Sabbath services in homes. In 1911, one group was chartered as B’nai Israel Congregation, which became one of the largest conservative congregations in the area. The congregation closed its building in 1995 and merged with congregation Beth Jacob of New Kensington to form congregation Adat Shalom in Fox Chapel. The records include accounting materials, burial permits, invitations and fliers, minutes, photographs, correspondence, school curriculum, and scrapbooks, as well as circumcision and bar and bas mitzvah records.
B’nai Israel cornerstone laying, 1923