National History Day 2014
The History Center serves as the regional host site for National History Day Pittsburgh, which serves students from Allegheny, Washington, Greene, Fayette, Westmoreland, and Somerset counties. Winners from the regional level compete at National History Day Pennsylvania.
National History Day encourages students to research history in an exciting and creative way. Either individually or in groups, students create exhibits, produce documentaries, write papers, design websites, or stage performances. Each activity is judged, and first, second, and third place winners move on to state and possibly national competition.
Warm Up for National History Day:
Compete at Primary Sources History Day at Cal U
The Primary Sources History Day Competition at California University of Pennsylvania is designed for students who have a special interest in history and a willingness to research, create, and share a project they are passionate about.
The competition gives local students an opportunity to develop as learners and to compete against one another and students from other area schools. It also helps to prepare them for entry into the regional National History Day at the Pittsburgh (NHD PITT) competition, which is held at the Senator John Heinz History Center in downtown Pittsburgh. There are no entry fees for the Cal U competition, and students receive helpful feedback to implement before they compete in the NHD PITT contest. For more information, please contact Lynne Berdar at Berdar@calu.edu or 724-938-6025.
For more information, please visit the Primary Sources History Day homepage.
- Mon., Nov. 18, 2013: Registration opens
- Tues., Jan. 21, 2014: Early Bird Registration for $12 per student fee
- Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014, 5 p.m.: Registration for $15 per student fee
- Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014: All fees and student registration forms postmarked
- Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014: 4 copies of student papers for Historical Papers Category postmarked
- Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014: All Weebly IDs submitted via email
- Sat., March 1, 2014: Junior Level Competition
- Sun., March 2, 2014: Senior Level Competition
- May 12-13, 2014: State Level Competition at Millersville University
- June 15-19, 2014: National Competition at the University of Maryland
- Online Registration: Click here to access the registration link for National History Day, which will open on Mon., Nov. 18th, 2013.
- National History Day Pittsburgh 2014 Simplified Registration (PDF): Students should complete this form and submit it to their sponsoring teacher, who will enter the information in Acuity.
- NHD 2014 Registration & Competition Content (PDF): This document includes important dates, fees, resources, and guidance for registering students.
- Simplified Registration Checklist (PDF): Use this one-pager to take the headaches out of the online registration process.
Rights and Responsibilities:
National History Day 2014 Theme Information
- Local Topics for Rights and Responsibilities (PDF): This document is full of local history topics that relate to this year's theme. Check it out before you begin your research!
- NHD 2014 Local Topics Resources at the History Center (PDF): If one of the local history ideas caught your attention, see what resources the History Center has for you to use!
- Additional Sources for NHD (PDF): Use this list to find digitized documents, and libraries and historic sites that welcome student historians.
- NHD 2014 Kickoff Plus (PDF): This helpful booklet will explain a bit more about this year's theme and includes resources for your citations and bibliography.
Learn more at the National History Day website:
- Click here to learn more about the theme, Rights and Responsibilities.
- Click here to see examples of winning entries at the national competition.
Have a question? Check out the NHD Pittsburgh 2014 Frequently Asked Questions.
NHD Pittsburgh Coordinator, Lead Educator
NHD Pittsburgh Registration Assistant, Education Programs Coordinator
NHD Pittsburgh Assistant, Educator