National History Day 2015
The History Center serves as the regional host site for National History Day Pittsburgh, which serves students from Allegheny, Washington, Greene, Fayette, Westmoreland, and Somerset counties. Winners from the regional level compete at National History Day Pennsylvania.
National History Day encourages students to research history in an exciting and creative way. Either individually or in groups, students create exhibits, produce documentaries, write papers, design websites, or stage performances. Each activity is judged, and first, second, and third place winners move on to state and possibly national competition.
Warm Up for National History Day:
Compete at Primary Sources History Day at Cal U
The Primary Sources History Day Competition at California University of Pennsylvania is designed for students who have a special interest in history and a willingness to research, create, and share a project they are passionate about.
The competition gives local students an opportunity to develop as learners and to compete against one another and students from other area schools. It also helps to prepare them for entry into the regional National History Day at the Pittsburgh (NHD PITT) competition, which is held at the Senator John Heinz History Center in downtown Pittsburgh. There are no entry fees for the Cal U competition, and students receive helpful feedback to implement before they compete in the NHD PITT contest. For more information, please contact Michael J. Brna at email@example.com or 724-938-6023.
For more information, please visit the Primary Sources History Day homepage.
Wednesday, October 8, 2014: Kickoff at the Heinz History Center, Juniors Thursday, October 9, 2014: Kickoff at the Heinz History Center, Seniors
- Monday, November 17, 2014: National History Day 2015 Registration Opens
- Tuesday, February 5, 2015 at 5 p.m.: Early Bird Registration Online Deadline (for $12 per student fee)
- Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 5 p.m.: Online Registration Deadline (for $15 per student fee)
- POSTMARKED by February 19: All fees and student registration forms
- POSTMARKED by February 19: 4 copies of each student paper
- POSTMARKED or EMAILED by February 19: All weebly IDs submitted, via email or mail
- Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 7 a.m.: Junior Division Competition
- Sunday, March 15, 2015 at 7 a.m.: Senior Division Competition
- May 12 & 13, 2015: State Competition at Millersville (1st, 2nd, and 3rd place at Regionals)
- June 14-18, 2015: National Competition in Maryland (1st and 2nd place at States)
- Online Registration: Click here to access the registration link for National History Day, which will open on Monday, Nov. 17, 2014.
- The NHD 2015 Competition Resource Book for Teachers is downloadable here. Inside, find the simplified registration form, important dates, useful hyperlinks, and contact information.
National History Day 2015 ResourcesThe NHD 2015 Resources for STUDENTS packet can be found here. Inside, students can find the following:
- A checklist of rules and guidelines for each category (a more comprehensive explanation is available in the NHD rulebook)
- A breakdown of the judging sheets
- A list of theme-aligned local topics
- A list of digital archives via which students can find primary sources
- A list of useful webpages that offer guidance regarding theme, winning entries, special prizes, etc.
- Simplified Registration Checklist
- Simplified Registration forms to copy for students
- Important dates for NHD
- Table of what to mail, when, and to whom
NHD Pittsburgh Coordinator, Lead Educator
NHD Pittsburgh Registration Assistant, Education Programs Coordinator
NHD Pittsburgh Assistant, Educator