National History Day 2015
The History Center serves as the regional host site for National History Day Pittsburgh, which serves students from Allegheny, Washington, Greene, Fayette, Westmoreland, and Somerset counties. Winners from the regional level compete at National History Day Pennsylvania.
National History Day encourages students to research history in an exciting and creative way. Either individually or in groups, students create exhibits, produce documentaries, write papers, design websites, or stage performances. Each activity is judged, and first, second, and third place winners move on to state and possibly national competition.
National History Day Kickoff
Join us for a morning of nuts-and-bolts mini-sessions at our annual National History Day kickoff on Wednesday, Oct. 8th (Junior Division) and Thursday, Oct. 9th (Senior Division). Students and teachers will learn about this year’s theme, Leadership & Legacy in History, and hear about primary source research and writing annotated bibliographies. Students will be able to select three mini-sessions to see examples of entries and hear from judges about how to make a quality entry. This event fills up quickly; reserve your spot by calling Maggie Satler at 412-454-6304. Admission is free for students in schools that are new to NHD. For students who are veteran competitors, the cost is $6.
National History Day 2014 Winners
Junior Awards: Please download the document to see a list of winners from the Junior Competition on March 1.
Senior Awards: Please download the document to see a list of winners from the Senior Competition on March 2.
PA National History Day Registration Packet: Students who placed first, second, or third in the regional competition will be invited to compete at National History Day in Pennsylvania contest at Millersville University on Mon., May 12 and Tues., May 13, 2014. Please download the packet for registration information.
National History Day Competition Day Information
- The Schedules: Judging Times and Locations
The schedule is organized by Division and Category.
Download: Junior Competition Schedule – March 1, 2014
- Registration Information
This document tells students, teachers, and judges where and when to enter the building on competition day.
- Student Admission Sheets
Download: Junior Admission Sheet
Download: Senior Admission Sheet
Please print the appropriate Admission sheet for each student. The sheet includes a t-shirt ticket for the student, in addition to two guest passes. Students should bring the completed t-shirt ticket with them to the competition. The student’s two complimentary guests should bring the completed guest tickets.
- Teacher Admission Sheet
Each teacher should bring the appropriate ticket for their competition day. Please complete and surrender the ticket at the Registration area of the Admissions Counter. This document is also attached here.
Download: Senior Competition Schedule – March 2, 2014
Warm Up for National History Day:
Compete at Primary Sources History Day at Cal U
The Primary Sources History Day Competition at California University of Pennsylvania is designed for students who have a special interest in history and a willingness to research, create, and share a project they are passionate about.
The competition gives local students an opportunity to develop as learners and to compete against one another and students from other area schools. It also helps to prepare them for entry into the regional National History Day at the Pittsburgh (NHD PITT) competition, which is held at the Senator John Heinz History Center in downtown Pittsburgh. There are no entry fees for the Cal U competition, and students receive helpful feedback to implement before they compete in the NHD PITT contest. For more information, please contact Michael J. Brna at email@example.com or 724-938-6023.
For more information, please visit the Primary Sources History Day homepage.
Mon., Nov. 18, 2013: Registration opens Tues., Jan. 21, 2014: Early Bird Registration for $12 per student fee Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014, 5 p.m.: Registration for $15 per student fee Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014: All fees and student registration forms postmarked Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014: 4 copies of student papers for Historical Papers Category postmarked Thurs., Feb. 6, 2014: All Weebly IDs submitted via email
- Sat., March 1, 2014: Junior Level Competition
- Sun., March 2, 2014: Senior Level Competition
- May 12-13, 2014: State Level Competition at Millersville University
- June 15-19, 2014: National Competition at the University of Maryland
- Online Registration: Click here to access the registration link for National History Day, which will open on Mon., Nov. 18th, 2013.
- National History Day Pittsburgh 2014 Simplified Registration (PDF): Students should complete this form and submit it to their sponsoring teacher, who will enter the information in Acuity.
- NHD 2014 Registration & Competition Content (PDF): This document includes important dates, fees, resources, and guidance for registering students.
- Simplified Registration Checklist (PDF): Use this one-pager to take the headaches out of the online registration process.
Rights and Responsibilities:
National History Day 2014 Theme Information
- Local Topics for Rights and Responsibilities (PDF): This document is full of local history topics that relate to this year's theme. Check it out before you begin your research!
- NHD 2014 Local Topics Resources at the History Center (PDF): If one of the local history ideas caught your attention, see what resources the History Center has for you to use!
- Additional Sources for NHD (PDF): Use this list to find digitized documents, and libraries and historic sites that welcome student historians.
- NHD 2014 Kickoff Plus (PDF): This helpful booklet will explain a bit more about this year's theme and includes resources for your citations and bibliography.
Learn more at the National History Day website:
- Click here to learn more about the theme, Rights and Responsibilities.
- Click here to see examples of winning entries at the national competition.
Have a question? Check out the NHD Pittsburgh 2014 Frequently Asked Questions.
NHD Pittsburgh Coordinator, Lead Educator
NHD Pittsburgh Registration Assistant, Education Programs Coordinator
NHD Pittsburgh Assistant, Educator