To reserve a school tour or program at the Heinz History Center, please submit a request form. After submitting the request form, the Group Tour Coordinator will contact you within 3 – 5 business days to schedule your visit. Once your group has been scheduled, you will receive a reservation confirmation by email.
Options for Students
You can choose to schedule a guided tour, education program, or a self-guided experience. Guided tours and education programs must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance and are based on availability. Please check out our sample tour schedules to help you plan your visit (PDF) (Word).
- All tours and programs are for a minimum of 10 students.
- Guided tours and programs are 90 minutes unless otherwise noted.
- Education programs are grounded in the historical topics covered by the History Center’s museum system. They provide a deeper dive into content, with gallery-based activities and hands-on classroom activities that incorporate object-based learning, archival materials, historic images, and interactive learning opportunities.
- Guided tours for students are hands-on, educational, and fun. Guided tours follow thematic routes through the History Center’s five floors of exhibits, showcasing the region’s history in a way that supports standards-aligned learning.
- Self-guided tours are an option for educators who would like to facilitate their own museum experience. We encourage educators to tour the museum to prepare for your visit, using the free teacher admission ticket that accompanies a self-guided booking.
Guided tours: $7 per student
Education programs: $8 per student
Self-guided tours for students: $6 per student
Guided tours and Education Programs must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance and are based on availability. Teachers are admitted free, and one chaperone per 10 students is admitted free. Additional chaperones are charged the student rate.
For students of Pittsburgh Public Schools, we offer free admission for guided tours, education programs, and self-guided visits.
Parking and Bus Directions
If arriving by car or van, please visit our parking page for more information on parking.
If arriving by bus or motor coach, please use the bus pull-off location on Smallman street if available or pull in front of the History Center’s main entrance to unload. Free bus parking is available offsite, and History Center Staff will provide a map and parking instructions to the bus driver. The parking lot is about one mile away from the History Center.
We require a minimum of 1 adult per 10 students.
The History Center is fully accessible. One personal aide is admitted free-of-charge for each visitor in need of assistance during a History Center visit. Please indicate the number of aides attending with your group when you reserve your tour. Sign language interpreters are available for tours and programs with one-week notice to ensure availability. More about accessibility.
Groups are welcome to include a trip to the Museum Shop as part of their visit. Please specify on the request form if you would like to visit the Museum Shop during your self-guided time. Due to the size of the shop, please plan to visit the shop in small, chaperoned groups.
Dining Options and Spaces
Students are welcome to bring a brown bag lunch and lunchroom space can be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. Please specify on your request form if you would like to reserve lunchroom space for your group.