Throughout the 1950s, the Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory in West Mifflin, Pa. and the Westinghouse Astronuclear Laboratory in Large, Pa. attracted Jewish engineers and scientists to the boroughs and townships along Route 51 in the South Hills. Together, they formed Beth Israel Center in 1958 and maintained the congregation for 60 years.
Before it closed in 2018, Beth Israel Center donated a wonderful collection of records to the Rauh Jewish Archives. Using those records, we’ll reconstruct the early years of Beth Israel Center, starting with the initial gatherings in 1957 and culminating with the incorporation of the congregation in February 1959. We’ll also look at the larger development of Jewish life in the South Hills at that time, including the arrival of Beth El Congregation to the area and the expansion of Temple Emanuel of the South Hills.
This virtual program is free and will be presented as a Zoom meeting. Please register online.