Homeschool students are invited to a drop-off program on select Fridays hosted by the Fort Pitt Museum and Point State Park.
Monthly classes are offered for students in grades 4-6 and 7-8 and include topics in early Pittsburgh and American history, the environment, and modern-day Pittsburgh.
Boats Around the Point
For students in grades 7-8
- Students will learn the basics of why and how boats can float on water by conducting a surface tension experiment.
- Students will learn about the importance and role of boats in Pittsburgh’s development.
- Students will work in groups to design a clay boat and test the boat’s ability to hold weight and explores Archimedes’ principal of displacement.
- Students will discuss the effectiveness of boat designs.
The cost for the Friday at the Forks Homeschool Series is $10 per student per class or $60 per student for all seven classes in that age group. Payment is due at registration.
Full refunds will be issued to registrants when notice of absence is given at least 10 days prior to the scheduled class. Registrants that give notice nine days prior to the class or less will be refunded 50% of their registration.
Registrants that purchase the $60 package are entitled to one free class absence. Following that absence, registrants will adhere to the above refund policy.
If a class is cancelled due to lack of registrations, registrants will be notified and issued full refunds.
Additional Classes in the Forks of the Ohio Homeschool Series
- A Couple of Bucks – Feb. 7
- Clean Water for the Point – March 13
- Three Sisters Gardening – April 17
- Insect Investigations at the Point – Sept. 11
- Simple Machines – Oct. 2
- Fall Colors at the Point – Nov. 13
- Mr. Dunmore’s Neighborhood – Dec. 11
For more information, please contact Kathleen Lugarich at firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-454-6418.