A Very Merry Pittsburgh
This holiday season, relive cherished memories and make new ones with your family at the Smithsonian’s home in Pittsburgh!
Explore how Western Pennsylvanians have celebrated Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, and more through the years as part of the A Very Merry Pittsburgh holiday experience in the first-floor Great Hall.
See original artifacts from iconic department stores, including Santa’s original chair from Kaufmann’s Santaland and the mailbox where thousands of children mailed their Christmas lists to the North Pole.
Plus, kids can write and mail their own letters to Santa and enjoy coloring activities in the Great Hall’s holiday kids area.
- Holiday Windows in Downtown Pittsburgh
- Awaiting the Arrival of Old St. Nick
- Nativity Scenes From Around the World
- The Mystery of the McKeesport Menorah
- Eight Days of Hannukah
- Tuning in the Holidays: Recalling Pittsburgh’s Connections to the TV Holiday Special
- Pittsburgh’s Santa, George Heid
- Christmas at Buhl Planetarium and its Miniature Railroad
- A Very Aluminum Christmas
Don’t miss your chance to take a socially distanced holiday photo with Santa on Saturdays at the History Center!
Old Saint Nick will safely greet museum visitors from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following dates:
- Saturday, Nov. 21
- Friday, Nov. 27
- Saturday, Nov. 28
- Saturday, Dec. 5
- Saturday, Dec. 12
- Saturday, Dec. 19
Santa visits are included with regular admission.