Yinz would be y’all. Virginians would bleed black and gold. Pittsburgh would be for lovers, too.
The Fort Pitt Museum explores how Pittsburgh nearly became a permanent part of Virginia as part of its new exhibition, Pittsburgh, Virginia, which is on display through December 2020.
From the 17th century through the American Revolution, Pennsylvania and Virginia had overlapping claims to much of present-day Western Pa.
The Pittsburgh, Virginia exhibition will focus on the turbulent events of 1774, when the two colonies fought for control of Pittsburgh, while Lord Dunmore’s War put the fate of the Ohio Country and all of its inhabitants at stake.
Using 18th-century artifacts and period imagery, the exhibit will tell a fascinating story about the lust for Indian lands (led by ambitious Virginian speculators like George Washington), colonial rivalries, and the quest to preserve sovereignty by all parties involved.
The exhibit will also take a close look at the diverse community of Pittsburgh before the American Revolution, and will feature early handwritten documents highlighting the practice of slavery in Western Pennsylvania during, and after, the Virginian occupation.
Pittsburgh, Virginia opens to the public on Saturday, Oct. 5 and will be on display through fall 2020.
Rare Artifact to Debut in Pittsburgh, Virginia Exhibit
A carved powder horn making its debut in the Pittsburgh, Virginia exhibit is an important historic object that every Pittsburgher should see.
Likely made within days of the British capture of Fort Duquesne, the powder horn (used by soldiers to safely carry gunpowder) is believed to be one of the earliest objects made in Pittsburgh.
Marked with the initials “G.B.” and the name “G. Biler,” this powder horn bears an extremely rare firsthand depiction of Fort Duquesne as it appeared when General John Forbes and his British army captured the Point on Nov. 25, 1758.
This rare artifact was recently acquired by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission with the generous support of the Friends of Fort Pitt Museum and is now a permanent part of the commission’s Fort Pitt Museum collection.
The Pittsburgh, Virginia exhibition is generously supported by the Laurel Foundation, the Allegheny Regional Asset District, and Brian and Mary Roman.