Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
OCT. 6, 2012 – JAN. 6, 2013 Gridiron Glory focused on the history of pro football, from its humble beginnings in 1892 to its rise as one of the world’s most beloved sports.
Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame was a major exhibition focusing on the history of pro football, from its humble beginnings in 1892 to its rise as one of the world’s most beloved sports.
The blockbuster exhibition made its national premiere at the History Center in the fall of 2012 before embarking on a nationwide traveling tour. The Pittsburgh exhibition was made possible by Highmark, the presenting sponsor.
Gridiron Glory is most comprehensive traveling exhibit ever created on America’s most popular sport.
The exhibit includes more than 200 football artifacts, rare photos, and one-of-a-kind documents from the Pro Football Hall of Fame collections, many of which have never been seen outside of Canton, Ohio.
The exhibit also featured unique artifacts from the Pittsburgh Steelers, including Art Rooney, Franco Harris, Joe Greene, Lynn Swann, and Jack Lambert – and at the History Center, featured a special area dedicated to Western Pennsylvania’s incredible pro football tradition.
- The 1892 Allegheny Athletic Association accounting ledger featuring Pudge Heffelfinger, known as “Pro Football’s Birth Certificate”
- Artifacts from pro football’s pioneers, such as Jim Thorpe, Knute Rockne, Red Grange, Johnny “Blood” McNally, Sammy Baugh, and Bobby Layne
- Items from the golden era of pro football, including Jim Brown, Vince Lombardi, Dick Butkus, Johnny Unitas, and Tom Landry
- Highlights from the NFL’s greatest running backs, such as O.J. Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Tony Dorsett, Walter Payton, Bo Jackson, and Barry Sanders
- Artifacts from record-breaking quarterbacks, including John Elway, Joe Montana, and Dan Marino
- Items from today’s stars, including Drew Brees, Tom Brady, and Peyton Manning