Volunteers play a key role in making the History Center one of the finest cultural organizations in the U.S. By donating their time and talents, volunteers assist with nearly every facet of the organization.
Volunteers with a wide range of skills and expertise are needed at the History Center, Western Pennsylvania Sports Museum, Meadowcroft Rockshelter and Historic Village, and the Fort Pitt Museum.
Some of the ways to serve include:
- Concierge Program: Provides customer service and information at the Admission Desk and Museum Shop and also serves as hosts for a wide array of special events and public programs.
- Docent Program: Serves as tour guides for school programs and adult groups.
- Ambassador Program: Develops and delivers local history topics to the community at-large through public speaking outreach.
- Library & Archives Program: Assists librarians and archivists with a variety of cataloging, reference desk assistance, and oral history transcriptions.
- Administrative Support: Provides support for the museum through clerical and office duties, including data entry and report generation.
In appreciation of donating their time and talents, volunteers receive numerous benefits:
- Unique learning, enrichment, and networking opportunities
- Seasonal gatherings and field trips
- Complimentary admission to all related museums
- Free parking at 15th and Smallman Streets
- 20% discount at the History Center’s museum shops
- 10% discount at MixStirs Café
Interested in learning how you can help? Please fill out an online application and a History Center staff member will be in touch soon.
For additional questions, please contact Renee Falbo at 412-454-6357 or email@example.com.
Current History Center volunteers can login to their Volunteer Information Center Network (Vicnet) accounts here.