The Allegheny Conference on Community Development is a nonprofit organization that works with the public and private sectors to improve the economy and quality of life in the Pittsburgh region.
The images in the collection, consisting of photographs collected from various photographers and organizations, document both the conditions the Allegheny Conference was hoping to change as well as the activities in which the organization was involved.
The H. J. Heinz Company Photographs depict the company’s Pittsburgh plant and its employees, products, displays, and equipment. The photographs, which date chiefly between 1940 and 1975, were created by the company’s Public Relations Department for internal use.
The Pittsburgh Public School Records and Photographs contain a rich range of materials, including correspondence, photographs, reports, scrapbooks, minutes, curriculum materials, and business records documenting 90 schools in the Pittsburgh Public Schools District. Together, the records and photographs of the Pittsburgh Public Schools uniquely reflect the educational experiences of students and teachers as well as the administrative actions of the school district over time.
The General Postcard Collection (GPCC) consists of sixteen boxes of picture postcards from the early twentieth century to the present day. Most are images of the Pittsburgh area but there are several boxes covering nearly every town and county in Pennsylvania. Office buildings, museums, parks, street scenes, skylines, theaters, schools, churches, factories, and more are memorialized, as well as highways, rivers, bridges, tunnels, railroad stations, historical images, and other less conventional scenes. Postcards have long been a popular way for businesses to advertise as well, and thus many “trade” cards are also included in the collection, from Heinz and Westinghouse to department stores, restaurants, and small family businesses.
The Buhl Foundation Photographs contain photographs of homes in Chatham Village, the Buhl Foundation’s $2 million housing development located in Pittsburgh’s Mt. Washington neighborhood. The photographs, dating from 1929 to 1950, include images of Chatham Village’s construction, the interiors and exteriors of homes, Chatham Hall (the community center), recreational areas, and the development’s residents.